Sunday 30 October 2022

TAC - "if it fits....." (1998) C46

 



It's Sunday morning and I was going to write out the sales pitch and post the links for the Forced Cohesion cassette, having not found time to do so on Friday afternoon as has been my habit; but as I'm multitasking, combining the composition of this blog post with listening to next week's tape in the name of quality control, I find I can't remember much about the Forced Cohesion tape thus leaving me with little to say on the subject, and I can't help but notice that next week's TAC recording rocks like a bitch. So fuck it - here's next week's tape one week early in the name of mixing it up, wacky spontaneity, not having a clue what we'll do next because that's how crazy we are etc. etc.

As previously stated, I'm barely familiar with the work of Mr. Cox, who trades as TAC, but this one is fucking great - powerfully moody and atmospheric without committing anything too obvious to the general composition. Pierre Schaeffer probably wouldn't have been proud because he was apparently a miserable bugger who regarded his own work as basic experiments rather than ends in themselves, but he fucking should have been, the grumpy old bugger. I've probably said this before, but over the years I've heard so many pitiful efforts akin to some twat rattling a screwdriver around in a kettle for ninety minutes and calling it - ugh - sound art that I sometimes find it kind of difficult to get excited about yet another lengthy recording of someone I probably wouldn't want to meet chucking pebbles at a bike; but TAC is definitely one of the people who not only keeps this sort of abstraction interesting, but genuinely makes a number of the others redundant. In my opinion.

By the way, I haven't bothered splitting it into side one and side two because it didn't seem to need it.
 

Return to Index

2 comments: