Monday 7 March 2016

Fysisk Fostran - Vi Behöver Ett Odöpt Barn (1983) C60


I have no idea about this one beyond that it was sent to me by Lennart Eilersen of Selbstmord in Sweden, the man who helped birth this masterpiece. I've barely listened to the thing over the years, but mainly because the actual cassette tape looked like one of those five for a quid crappo specials you would buy either from car boot sales or Sid's electronics shop in Church Street in Shipston, and I suspected it was only a matter of time before my player chewed the thing up. This is a shame because listening to it now I realise I like it a lot, and that it at least lives up to the promise of obscure Swedish avant-noise. The more I listen to this stuff, the more I wish someone had dragged these guys into a fancy studio and given this material the blistering production it deserves.

Nosing around on the internet I'm pleased to find there are actually a couple of Krabbkropp tracks on YouTube, apparently posted by one of the group, who gives this account:

Krabbkropp were a duo consisting of Robert Lagerström and Patrik Lager who were active in Stenungsund, Sweden around 1980-81. The band expanded in 1982 to incorporate additional "musicians" and were called Brosk for a period, releasing a few cassettes under that name before becoming Fysisk Fostran later that year. As Fysisk Fostran they released a number of additional cassettes and a 7" EP called Day of Reckoning.

It took me years to work out quite what the hell this was, who it was actually by, and whether it was some sort of split tape or not, but I guess what we have is basically a compilation of what was more or less the same group of people at different stages. Krabbkropp became Fysisk Fostran - meaning something like either Physical Education or Physical Upbringing - and I guess the Dance of the Washer-Woman material was recorded by one of the same people.

Whilst researching this oddity I couldn't help but notice that someone else has already posted a freebie download of the same, but I've gone right ahead and posted mine regardless seeing as I'd already spent half a day editing the thing. It can't hurt and maybe one of our respective digitisations is better than the other, hence greater choice for the consumer. Plus the site seems worth a look. God bless capitalism etc.


Fysisk Fostran - Vi Behöver ett Odöpt Barn We Need an Unbaptised Child

1 - Intro / Vill Era Gäster Ha Fiber? (live) Do Your Guests Want to Have Fiber?
2 - Det Blodrika Djuret The Blood-Rich Animal
3 - Döda Lollos Mamma (KK) Mother of Dead Lollo
4 - Vi Var Gudar (Vi Tog Betalt För Oss) We Were Gods (We Got Paid)
5 - Jag Har Ett Möte Med Jim H. Gud I Have a Meeting with Jim H. God
6 - Det Mystiska Talet 'E' The Mysterious Number 'E'
7 -
Vill Era Gäster Ha Fiber? Do Your Guests Want to Have Fiber?
8 - Den Förtroliga Kammaren The Confidential Chamber
9 - Vi Kan Allt Få Dig Att Springa! We Can Really Make You Jump!
10 - När Arkeologerna Grävde Upp Min Hustrus Kropp When Archaeologists Dug Up My Wife's Body
11 - Jag Har Tältata Med Döden I Have Camped with Death


Krabbkropp


12 - Krabbkropp Crab Body
13 - Ett Krabbigt Förslag A "Crabby" Proposal
14 - Krabbornas Bröllop Crab Wedding
15 - Krabbans Klagan Crab's Lament
16 - Krabbkaka Crab Cake
17 - Krabbkroppar Crab Bodies


Dance of the Washer-Woman -
Som Bombsplitter I Själen As Bomb Shrapnel in the Soul

18 - part one

19 - part two

Many thanks to Nils Inge Graven for the translations.

 Return to Index

4 comments:

  1. Thanks. That's a very nice review of our old experiments.
    /Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, this made my day!
    Nice to see one of our old cassettes reviewed 35 years after we recorded it :)

    /Patrik

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great that you found this tape! I where involved as musician in Fysisk Fostran in the end of the bands history. Together with Robert we had the project Dance of the washer woman. I think that one thing that is good to know about the music on the tape is that it was made in the petrochemical hot spot of Sweden. Our parents where more or less all involved in the industries. The soundscapes that creates the background in the two pieces Som bombsplitter i själen were found and recorded at the places where we worked. All of the people around ..ett odöpt barn lived in this context. /Andreas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really glad you all found this page and thanks for the stamp of approval. Thanks also for the additional information - makes me want to hear more!

    ReplyDelete