Monday 9 March 2020

Basic Humour (1983) C10


Well, I did say I was getting near the bottom of the jar, and it looks like that time has arrived. It's not like I don't have anything else to share, but I'm pretty sure you've now had all of the full tapes from my shelves, things which had covers and so on - at least excepting the few I'm keeping to myself for one reason or another. This leaves us with downloads achieved by excavation or reconstruction - three tracks I had on the end of someone else's tape and that sort of thing, bringing us to Basic Humour.

I don't know anything about them, and the internet isn't very helpful in this instance. They came to me thanks to Colin of Refill Tapes who released this, this and this, and they came to me with a letter dated to 5th of December, 1983 in which the aforementioned Colin lamented there not being much going on in Devizes, Wiltshire. However, one ray of localised sunshine, relatively speaking, was provided by:


...one commercial band, Basic Humour, who were near a record deal with CBS, but that has dragged on and on and on. They gig mostly around Bath and we follow them everywhere. We know them quite well now. We've included two tracks by them on the cassette, but don't release it. They will kill us if you do!

Anyway, when I came across these two tracks during recent excavations, copied onto the end of something or other, I recognised them immediately. I had no memory of the band and their name didn't seem even slightly familiar, but clearly I played these two a fair bit when they were first sent to me, so here they are again. Maybe, hopefully, somebody out there will remember this lot and what became of them.

The illustration, by the way, is something I drew in 1983 and is nothing to do with the band beyond that it would have felt weird posting this without some accompanying image.

If there's no post here next week, it's because I haven't found anything to share. There will be other things here from time to time so check back whenever, just no longer on a weekly schedule. It's okay - I found summink for next week.


Tracks:
1 - Umbrella in the Hall
2 - Seventeen Years

Return to Index

No comments:

Post a Comment