Monday 8 April 2019

Impulse 4 (1992) C40


There would have been another Apostles tape this week, but the one I digitised was - so it turns out - copied onto a C180, amounting to three fucking hours on a single cassette, and most of that being extras that Andy stuck on there which aren't officially on the cassette, and hence aren't listed on the track list - so it's going to take me some time working out what the fuck is what with that one. I didn't even realise there had ever been such a thing as a C180 until this week.

While we're waiting, here's Impulse 4, which I apparently misfiled between Impulse 5 and Impulse 6 rather than Impulse 3 and Impulse 5 like some crazy ketamine fuelled anarchist mental case, hence my not having posted it before. As you will be aware, this was a cassette given away with Impulse mag, although I don't have the magazine, for some reason. Seems a bit weird my having mislaid this one seeing as I'm actually on it, but never mind.

Attrition you will surely know by reputation, and same with most of the others if you've regularly been following this blog. Michael Mantra, one of the two names with which I was not familiar, is some big cheese in American improv circles, or possibly was; and as for Sexus - even at the time their contributing seemed like a bit of a scoop being as they were famous and had been lumped in with that whole Romo thing which Melody Maker was desperately trying to get happening, and ended up releasing a single on ZTT. Shame it never really took off. Even if the hype was pure wank, the music pissed over all that other Thousand Shed Present toss which everyone except me and a select band of my fellow cool kids* were listening to.

*: This term is utilised with a certain quota of irony in mockery of anyone attempting to use it as a serious criticism, as has happened on occasion, because yes, we were soooo fucking cool hunched over a pile of envelopes and a stack of photocopies in our freezing bedsits in nowheresville - which is nice because being perceived as cool was obviously a big deal for us.



Tracks:
1 - Attrition - The Next Day (Revisited)
2 -
Another Headache - Go Slow
3 -
Antonym - Xchne Arcae
4 -
Ozone Bandits - Empty Lizard (Slight Return)
5 -
Sexus - How Can You Live Without Me?
6 -
Michael Mantra - Glistening Air
7 -
Family of Noise - Don't Look Back
8 -
Aerschot - Chuckle
 
Return to Index

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! Never heard of this Impulse Compilation. I'm sure I will listen to each song many times. Thanks my friend for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't thank you enough. You have an Amazing collection.

    ReplyDelete