Friday 12 October 2018

Impulse 2 (1992) C40


Impulse was an A5 mag produced by Mark of Konstruktivists, Binary, Codex Empire, and others I probably never heard of. Each issue came with a compilation cassette of (what I'm pretty sure was) all new material by many of your weirdy faves, which is why it's here. I missed the first issue, in case anyone was wondering, but here's the second with forty minutes of very listenable stuff.
 
You should have heard of Nagamatzu, I would think, so I doubt they require introduction, although for what it's worth this is one of my favourite tracks by them*. Antonym have already turned up on this blog. Nova State Conspiracy were something to do with Alex Novak of Venus Fly Trap, Attrition, and others. I don't know much about any of the others, and I wish I knew more about Whiteslug as their track is fucking great. The collection has a bit of a whiff of combat boots about it, but mostly it's done well, and certainly better than a lot of those village hall scout hut versions of Front 242 which were around at the time.
 
I've scanned the mag (plus a copy of the first issue which someone kindly sent me), so those are also included in the download as a series of jpegs in separate folders. Where tapes came with booklets, I usually include them as scans, and this is sort of the same deal, I guess. You can see who features in the mag by looking at the picture above. I haven't had time to re-read the thing so take no responsibility for any claims of simply exploring controversial ideas and imagery made therein, but it is, if nothing else, a labour of love and really well put together.


More of these to come when I get around to it.

*: Postscript 2022 - I can't fucking listen to them any more. One of them kicked off when I first shared this, demanding to know 'what have you done to our track?' in more or less those words, apparently having mistaken me for his employee and being unable to believe that the digitisation of a track from a fucking thirty year old cassette tape wouldn't sound like you were right there with the band in Abbey Road during recording. Oh - I'm so sorry, did I just spend all fucking day cleaning up a sound file as best as I could manage thereby drumming up free publicity for your back catalogue meaning you might actually flog an extra CD next time you're out on the industrial music chicken in a basket circuit with A Tribute to Controlled Bleeding and Sounds Like Muslimgauze? Well, excuuuuuuuse me.



Tracks:
1 - Nagamatzu - Firewalker [remix]
2 -
IAV - You Make the Groove
3 -
Nova State Conspiracy - Definitive Item
4 -
Antonym - Prime Mover
5 -
Red Sekta - Torture
6 -
German Shepherds - I Adore You
7 -
Whiteslug - Motherfucker
8 -
Trance - By the Pound
9 -
Shinkansen - Ishikari
10 -
Momento Mori - Excerpt

Return to Index

1 comment:

  1. Never seen or heard of this. I'm looking forwrd to Nagamatzu plus a whole bucnch of stuff that I don't know.

    ReplyDelete