Monday, 11 September 2017

Oops


I had a good one all lined up for this week, but have had to postpone my posting it at last minute. It's a tape by someone whose work I've posted before and with his blessing, but this is material from a group he was in with some other guy, and he decided it might be an idea to check with the other guy regarding my sharing this material; and as I still haven't heard anything else, I've yet to get full permission to share the thing, so I'm erring on the side of caution and sitting on it for however long it takes.

This left me with nothing much to post, so as it's been a Death Magazine 52 kind of month - what with the Family Patrol Group material I posted a few weeks ago, and Mike Grant of the same commenting, and my getting hold of a copy of their excellent retrospective double album released by Harbinger a couple of years ago - I figured I may as well digitise my tape of the Death Magazine 52 performance from when they appeared on the same bill as Whitehouse and Family Patrol Group at the Mermaid in Birmingham back in 1983. I don't recall D.Mag 52 / SHC being particularly amazing that night, certainly not compared to Family Patrol Group, but it seemed like the tape should be of interest to someone. So I digitised it and immediately realised why they had seemed so underwhelming: they played for about six minutes and knocked it on the head, so it's really just a track rather than a live gig. The evening is described in more detail in the Family Patrol Group post, and I therefore gather that whichever two - or maybe it was three - of the Death Magazine 52 collective had turned up to play that night must have felt as though it had been a mistake and pulled their own plug or something. It's a shame really. There's a tantalising burst of rhythm about half way through the track (which I don't remember at all from the event itself), hinting at the kind of material I've heard more recently on the Harbinger album, but I guess it just wasn't happening for them. Anyway, if you're interested, this was Death Magazine 52 briefly live at the Mermaid, Birmingham on the 27th of August, 1983.


While we're here, somebody asked me if there was any chance of FLAC files of the Academy 23 and Apostles material I've digitised a couple of weeks ago. I posted some before, but only kept them up for a month or so due to the space they took up on my PC. Anyway, I have a different PC now as the other one blew up, and space is no longer such a concern, so here are those FLAC files again, for whoever it was. I'll leave them be this time seeing as there appears to be some demand and I expect I may be asked again. The artwork can be found with the downloads of MP3 versions of the same tapes which you should be able to get to from the index.

I'll definitely post a proper tape next week.

1 comment: