Saturday, 18 March 2017

v/a - Process (1993) C90


I'm afraid there's not much I'm able to say about this one. Shaun Robert, then recording as factor X, got the ball rolling. The idea was that the tape would be passed from person to person with everybody adding stuff, treating what was already there and so on, presumably to end up with a piece of >cough< >cough< sound art of indeterminate multiple origins. He sent it to me, and there was clearly already some input from persons other than factor X - the guy with the American accent being one - but I have no idea who these people were or how many times this cassette had been messed with before it came to me. I suppose logically those involved would probably be persons with whom factor X had already collaborated in some capacity or other - so AMK, Odal, Sudden Infant, Suzuki Shunya, Mlehst, and others may be on there somewhere, but I have no way of telling. I had a look through my eight or nine lever arch box files full of correspondence (I keep everything) but found only the above in reference to this cassette. In another letter I found, Shaun talked about a performance he would be doing in Portugal. Whoever was putting him on had paid his air fare and would be providing accommodation, but he still needed money for fun. He had estimated two hundred quid should just about cover it, so he hated to ask but could I loan him fifty towards that sum? Seeing as I was working full time in a physically demanding job and yet still having trouble making ends meet, whilst Shaun had decided that wage slavery just wasn't his scene and had rounded up this begging letter with a cheery one day we shall both be artists! I decided that he could, in this instance, go fuck himself. Therein may be found clues as to why we are no longer in touch, and why I haven't been able to ask him who else contributed to this thing.

Anyway, the enterprise reminded me of Dada X, as orchestrated by Carl and myself a year earlier - the composition of which was why I'd introduced myself to Shaun in the first place - but frankly more ponderous with all that dull self-referential baggage about the process of recording. I was already sick of media drawing attention to its own structure by the time I left Maidstone College of Art in 1987, but I tried to get into the spirit of the thing, and tried to add material which might render it a bit more listenable - although some of that which I added is just me taking the piss, and the opening speech was nicked straight from Peter Avery's introduction to Moraals.

I don't know if this project was ever completed as Shaun never mentioned it again. Maybe I killed it off, but anyway, here's what it sounded like once I was done with it.



Return to Index

No comments:

Post a Comment